Monday, June 7, 2010

A Commitment to Myself

Recently I decided to quit smoking, a huge goal that I have taken on several times over the six years that I smoked, on average, a pack a day. I never really thought that I would be able to quit, since it was so difficult the many times I tried before. It's been 3 weeks now, with only a minor set-back in between. Yes, it could be easy to pick the habit back up, but now that I've quit I've begun to realize the benefits of kicking it in the "butt." I'm more excited now than ever, to start this smoke free life and have started making a list of all of the things that I want to do with my spare time, money, and energy.

The main reason why I started this blog was because I've set a specific goal for myself-- a goal that I want to keep track of by blogging, by sharing my thoughts, feelings, hardships, accomplishments, and actions in a way that others can support my efforts or can just follow my progress throughout.

So, what is this goal, you may ask? Running. Lots and lots of running. Now, I realize I haven't been in the best physical shape my entire life, but I have the determination to do what it takes. It may be harder for me to get into shape than a slightly smaller, more athletic person... but it doesn't matter to me. If you dream big enough and work hard enough, all things are possible.

My plans go as follows: find a training schedule that works for me, stick to it, blog about it, and participate in a marathon as soon as my body allows. I realize this could take several months to a year, but it will happen. I feel certain of it.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Anna! Last year i started running for the first time since high school.(about 10yrs ago) I just did a little at a time. Ran a few days a week and got ready for the Marine corp. 10k. The first race i ever did! What a feeling of accomplishment to finish a race! IF you are planning to run out side there is a good web site called Map my run .com and you can map out your runs and find races around you check it out! Good luck and stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna! Good for you! What you are doing is BRAVE! I know it will be hard, but I also know you can do it! My brother did this thing called "From Couch to 5K" when he first started running, maybe you could try that? Here is a link to the program he used if you want to check it out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    Good luck! I'll be cheering for you down here in Columbus!
    -Erin (Huff)

    ReplyDelete